Lingering dream of a fallen warrior. Executed for crimes against the King.
A life defined by tragedy and triumph. A death marred by sorrow and regret. A spirit burdened by sins and memories. Better to wander the world than be cursed with glory.
Xero was a warrior of Hallownest who believed that strength would always allow him a bright future. When his mind was infected, he hoped to fight against the plague with violence. Fueled by the same hope, he turned against the Pale King, for which he was executed. Xero was buried in the Resting Grounds, his tomb a reminder to any who would betray the King. When his ghost awoke, he still could not see the wrongness of his actions and instead believed his demise was the result of a doomed fate.
Xero's ghost appears to the Knight once they acquire the Dream Nail. He accepts their challenge to mock his own fate. Once defeated, Xero finally acknowledges that his actions against the King were irrational. The ghost confides to the Knight its faith in their bravery, before shattering into 100 Essence to be collected by the Dream Nail.
Behaviour and Tactics
Xero only uses one attack:
- Nail Cast: Xero spawns 2 glowing nails. While floating around, he constantly shoots out one of his nails in the Knight's direction and draws it back. He shoots a nail every 1-2 seconds. Coming into contact with the nail while it is being drawn back still deals damage. At 50% HP, Xero spawns 2 more nails, and his attack rate increases, with only 0.75 seconds between each Nail Cast attack.
Dashing, especially Shadow Dashing, is a very helpful tactic for dodging Xero's attacks. To damage Xero, Nail Arts, especially Great Slash and Dash Slash, are useful. The Spell Howling Wraiths/Abyss Shriek can deal a lot of damage, but Xero bounces around and may not take all the hits. The Spell Vengeful Spirit/Shade Soul is very useful against Xero because it has near infinite range and it can hit more than once in a single cast, especially when fired in the same direction Xero himself moves.
Healing without Charms is safest when the Knight dodges a nail and puts themself on the opposite side of Xero's path, often causing the returning nail to miss. In the second Phase, the Knight must begin healing before the nail reaches the end of its range to have enough time to heal. The Quick Focus and/or Shape of Unn Charms can help the Knight heal.
The Knight can heal safely by running off the platform and going to the far left of the area, where Xero's attacks do not reach, or by running under the platform. Note that this kind of healing is not possible when fought in Godhome.
Hall of Gods text: "I lie dreaming amongst peaceful graves"
"Dreamborn god of faith and betrayal"
|Pantheon||Pantheon of the Artist, 1st boss|
|Arena changes||The ground is replaced by three distanced platforms on Ascended difficulty or above.|
Xero can be found in the west part of the Resting Grounds.
- His grave message used to read "Here lies a Traitor", which was changed to the current message ("Cursed are those who turn against the King.") after the public release version 184.108.40.206.
- This has, however, not been changed in some translations of the game.
- Xero voice and translations. German translation: "Für seine Verbrechen gegen den König hingerichtet" (Executed for his crimes against the king). French translation: "Un rêve persistant, appartenant à un guerrier mort. Exécuté pour crimes commis contre le roi." ("guerrier" and "exécuté" indicate a male character. A female character would use "guerrière" and "exécutée").
- Xero: "Hope, and freedom... I thought that strength alone could grant me these things."
- Xero: "In my dreams, I would cut that plague with my nails, and then I turned my weapons upon the King. When I awoke in this sacred place, I began to understand. Those who hope...are already doomed."
- Xero Hunter's Journal entry: "Executed for crimes against the King."
- Xero grave inspect text: "Cursed are those who turn against the King."
- Xero: "Ah... I can see now. Those who turn against the King are doomed as soon as they raise their weapon." "I know you will not flee. Wherever you go... I will be watching."