Lingering dream of a fallen warrior. Executed for crimes against the King.
A life defined by tragedy and triumph. A death marred by sorrow and regret. A spirit burdened by sins and memories. Better to wander the world than be cursed with glory.
Xero was a warrior of Hallownest who believed that strength would always allow him a bright future. When his mind was infected, he hoped to fight against the plague with violence. Fueled by the same hope, he turned against the Pale King, for which he was executed. Xero was buried in the Resting Grounds, his tomb a reminder to any who would betray the King. When his ghost awoke, he still could not see the wrongness of his actions and believed instead his demise to be the result of a doomed fate.
Xero's ghost appears to the Knight once they have acquired the Dream Nail. He accepts their challenge to mock his own fate. Once defeated, Xero finally acknowledges that his actions against the King were irrational. The ghost confides to the Knight its faith in their bravery, before shattering in 100 Essence to be collected by the Dream Nail.
Behaviour and Tactics
Xero only has one attack:
- Nail Cast: Xero will spawn in 2 glowing Nails. While floating around he will constantly shoot out one of his nails in the Knight's direction and will draw it back. He will shoot a Nail every 1-2 seconds. Coming into contact with the nail while it's being drawn back still can deal damage. At 50% hp Xero will spawn 2 more Nails and his attack pace will increase to 0.75 seconds between each Nail Cast.
Dashing, especially shadow dashing, is a very helpful tactic for dodging Xero's nails. To damage Xero: the Nail Arts, especially Great Slash and Dash Slash, are useful. The Spell Abyss Shriek can do a lot of damage but Xero will bounce around and not take all hits. The Spell Shade Soul is very useful against Xero because it has near infinite range and it can double hit or more in a single cast.
Healing without Charms is safest when the player dodges a Nail to put themselves on the opposite side of Xero's course of travel which should cause the returning Nail to miss. In the second phase, players must begin healing before the Nail reaches the end of its range to have enough time to heal. The Charms Quick Focus and/or Shape of Unn give players more and safer opportunities to heal.
In Hallownest, The Knight can heal safely by running off the platform and to the far left of the area, where Xero's attacks will not reach, or by running under the platform. Note that this kind of healing is not possible when fought in Godhome.
Hall of Gods text: "I lie dreaming amongst peaceful graves"
"Dreamborn god of faith and betrayal"
|Pantheon||Pantheon of the Artist, 1st boss|
|Arena changes||The ground is replaced by three distanced platforms on Ascended difficulty or above.|
Xero is located in the west part of the Resting Grounds.
- His grave message used to read "Here lies a Traitor", which was changed to the current message after the public release version 126.96.36.199.
- This has, however, not been changed in some translations of the game.
- ↑ Xero voice
- ↑ Xero: "Hope, and freedom... I thought that strength alone could grant me these things."
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Xero: " In my dreams, I would cut that plague with my nails, and then I turned my weapons upon the King. When I awoke in this sacred place, I began to understand. Those who hope...are already doomed."
- ↑ Xero Hunter's Journal entry: "Executed for crimes against the King."
- ↑ Xero grave insepct text: "Cursed are those who turn against the King."
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 Xero: "Ah... I can see now. Those who turn against the King are doomed as soon as they raise their weapon." "I know you will not flee. Wherever you go... I will be watching."