Mimics the shape of other creatures to lure prey to its lair.
In the deepest darkness, there are beasts who wear faces stolen from your memories and pluck at the strings in your heart. Know yourself, and stay strong.
Winged Nosk is a quest boss in Hollow Knight introduced in Godmaster. It is the flying form of Nosk assuming at first Hornet's shape instead of the Knight's. It can be encountered in the Pantheon of Hallownest.
Behaviour and Tactics
Winged Nosk has four attacks, they are similar to both Nosk's and Vengefly King's attacks:
- Swoop: The Swoop attack is similar to Vengefly King's Swipe, with Winged Nosk starting high at one end of the arena, flying down to the middle with their face low, and then back up to the other side.
- Summoning Screech: Their Summoning Screech attack is also similar to Vengefly King's Summoning Scream but instead of summoning Vengeflies, Winged Nosk summons Infected Balloons. This attack typically involves summoning 2 Infected Balloons but can summon 3 on rare occasions. There can be a maximum of 6 Infected Balloons in the arena. Once there are, Winged Nosk can still use this attack, but no more Infected Balloons are summoned.
- Outbreak: Blobs of infection spew from Winged Nosk; 2 at steep arcs down and 2 sets of 10 in wide arcs up. The blobs spread out across the arena floor with space between pairs of blobs. The blobs persist on the floor for about 2 seconds so they will still be there when Winged Nosk Swoops at us, which is how they always attack after an Outbreak.
- Downpour: Downpour is kind of similar to Nosk's Rain attack in that they fly into the ceiling and drop blobs on us. We won't start seeing this attack until Winged Nosk is reduced to half health. In the Downpour attack, after going into the ceiling, Winged Nosk drops several blobs down almost simultaneously. There are gaps between the blobs and they do persist on the floor for about 2 seconds BUT Winged Nosk doesn't begin another attack until about the time the blobs start disappearing. Winged Nosk exits the ceiling on the same side of the arena from which they entered the ceiling.
The Monarch Wings are very beneficial in this fight, as they allow one more chance to escape one of Winged Nosk's many swooping attacks if a jump is miscalculated.
Jumping over Winged Nosk's swooping attacks, instead of dashing through them with the Shade Cloak, is the optimal strategy as jumping allows for a few Nail strikes to the top of Winged Nosk as it whizzes by, similar to the strategy for fighting the Vengefly King. Various Nail-Lengthening charms such as Longnail and Mark of Pride can aid with hitting Winged Nosk while it is using its Swoop attack. This both damages Winged Nosk and puts the Knight out of harm's way.
The Infected Balloons should be killed immediately as they appear before they have time to get in the way. This will also give some much-needed SOUL, as Winged Nosk is never open to attack for very long.
Vengeful Spirit/Shade Soul and Desolate Dive/Descending Dark are very useful spells to use in this encounter, as both allow for very significant damage to Winged Nosk in a short period of time. Vengeful Spirit/Shade Soul should be used just after Winged Nosk is finishing a swooping attack, while Desolate Dive/Descending Dark should be used while Winged Nosk is swooping underneath the Knight.
It should be worth noting that when Winged Nosk releases the infected blobs from the ceiling that the charm Dreamshield, if positioned correctly, can block the infected globules before they can touch the floor or fall on the Knight.
Hall of Gods Variants
Hall of Gods text: "I wait patiently in a dark nest of predators"
"Deceptive god assuming a protector's form"
|Pantheon||Pantheon of Hallownest, 28th boss|
|Arena changes||Same Arena as the base Pantheon fight, no difficulty differences.|
|Dream Nail Dialogue|
- When it dies, Winged Nosk drops Hornet's shell which can be hit around.
- Winged Nosk references Nosk's original concept design where it had wings and a longer tail.