Soul is an arcane force that is generated from bugs and is the substance that animates their bodies. When put to use it can be twisted into Spells or even be used to heal damage. It can also be stored in jar-like caches or ancient artifacts called "Soul Totems".
In-game, SOUL is represented on the HUD by a circular meter that fills up with white liquid, revealing two eye holes and giving the meter the appearance of a face. The maximum amount of SOUL the SOUL meter can hold is 99.
There are several ways to acquire SOUL throughout the game:
- Enemies struck with the Nail cause the Knight to gain SOUL at a rate of 11 per hit.
- Several Charms can modify this amount:
- Striking enemies with the Dream Nail gives 33 SOUL. The Dream Wielder Charm doubles this amount to 66.
- Soul Totems are structures found throughout Hallownest. They glow with Soul energy when the Knight approaches. When hit with the Nail, they release orbs of energy that are absorbed by the Soul Vessels and generate 16 or 18 SOUL.
- After a certain number of hits, the statue ceases to glow and no longer gives SOUL. It is recharged when the Knight rests at a Bench.
- There are two standard sizes of Soul Totems, though there are several different appearances for each one:
- Small (3 hits): 50 to 54 SOUL
- Large (5 hits): 82 to 86 SOUL
Additionally, there are several unique Soul Totems with unlimited SOUL scattered throughout the Path of Pain within the White Palace. These totems are in the depiction of the Pure Vessel. Many Soul Totems were most likely stolen by the Scholars at Soul Sanctum, as there seems to be an entire pile of them beneath the Soul Master arena.
Various Soul Totems
Soul Caches are found in the Soul Sanctum in the City of Tears. They are glass jars containing the same orbs of energy as Soul Totems, though they can only be hit once before shattering. Breaking one grants 20 or 22 SOUL. Two more Soul Caches can be found within the Abyss in the lighthouse.
- Standing in a Hot Spring generates 50 SOUL per second.
- The Grubsong Charm regenerates 15 SOUL every time the Knight takes damage, or 25 if Grubberfly's Elegy is equipped.
- The Weaversong Charm combined with Grubsong gives 3 SOUL whenever the Weaverlings hit an enemy.
- The Kingsoul Charm passively generates 4 SOUL every 2 seconds.
- Salubra's Blessing generates 50 SOUL per second while the Knight sits at a Bench.
Soul Vessels are additional storage for SOUL, represented as small circles to the left of the main SOUL meter. The Knight can acquire 3 total throughout the game by collecting Vessel Fragments. 3 Vessel Fragments are required to make one Soul Vessel. Each Soul Vessel can contain 33 SOUL.
If the Knight gains SOUL while their main SOUL meter is full, the SOUL is instead transferred to one of the Soul Vessels, starting with the lowest one.
Soul Vessels transfer their SOUL into the main vessel when it has empty space and when SOUL is not being used. There is also a small delay between running out of SOUL in the main meter and having it be refilled by the Soul Vessels.
The Nail acquires SOUL for the Soul Vessels at a reduced rate, only providing 6 SOUL per hit.
- Soul Catcher increases this to 8 SOUL.
- Soul Eater increases this to 12 SOUL.
- These effects stack, giving 14 SOUL if both are equipped.
All other sources of SOUL do not fill Soul Vessels at a reduced rate, instead filling them at their normal rate.
It takes more Nail hits to fill Soul Vessels than the Vessels return in SOUL. Because of this, if the Knight is in a long fight and is constantly gaining SOUL to use for Spells or Focus, it is better to use the main meter as soon as possible.
- Soul Totems originate from the civilisation that existed before Hallownest.
- Soul Master and his followers were attempting to use Soul to counteract the Infection and to somehow achieve immortality. This idea was opposed by the Pale King.