Similar to the regular jump the height of the "flap" scales with how long the JUMP button is held.
The Monarch Wings are not necessary to finish the game; however, they allow access to the following areas:
- The Palace Grounds and consequently the White Palace.
- The Fungal Core and consequently a Mask Shard.
- The Enraged Guardian's room and consequently a Mask Shard.
The Monarch Wings are intended to be used to access Hallownest's Crown, the Watcher's Spire, the Hive, and Hornet in Kingdom's Edge. However, these locations can be accessed by Nail-bouncing on enemies and environmental objects.
The Monarch Wings are also very useful for platforming and during fights against some bosses.
The first frame of animation when using Monarch Wings does not immediately lift the Knight up, this is why there can be cases where the Knight gets hit by hazards below when falling despite the wings successfully manifesting.
How to Acquire
- Collecting the Monarch Wings is one of the two triggers that causes the Forgotten Crossroads to become the Infected Crossroads (the other trigger being killing any of the Dreamers).
- The official game manual describes the Monarch Wings as:
- "Wings of a monarchfly that grant momentary flight."
- The Monarch Wings are likely what cause the torrents of wind in portions of the Ancient Basin, as picking the Ability up stops the wind.
- The Monarch Wings were originally called "Mantis Wings" on the Kickstarter page.
- Hollow Knight Kickstarter campaign.