Press JUMP while in the air to perform a double-jump. Refreshes when the Knight lands on the ground, takes damage, bounces off an enemy/object with their Nail, or clings to/jumps off a wall using Mantis Claw.
Similar to the regular jump the height of the "flap" scales with how long the JUMP button is held.
The Monarch Wings are not necessary to finish the game; however, they allow access to the following areas:
- The Palace Grounds and consequently the White Palace.
- The Fungal Core and consequently a Mask Shard.
- The Enraged Guardian's room and consequently a Mask Shard.
- The Hive and consequently a Mask Shard and the Hiveblood charm.
The Monarch Wings are intended to be used to access Hallownest Crown, the Watcher Spire and Hornet in Kingdom's Edge. However, these locations can be accessed by nail jumping on enemies and environmental objects.
The Monarch Wings are also very useful for platforming and during fights against some bosses.
The first frame of animation when using Monarch Wings does not immediately lift the Knight up, this is why there can be cases where the Knight gets hit by hazards below when falling despite the wings successfully manifested.
How to Acquire
- Collecting the Monarch Wings is one of the triggers that cause the Forgotten Crossroads to become Infected Crossroads.
- In the game files, this ability is referred to as "Emperor's Wings".
- The official game manual describes the Monarch Wings as:
- "Wings of a monarchfly that grant momentary flight."
- The Monarch Wings is what was causing a torrent of wind in a portion of the Ancient Basin. Picking up the ability will stop the wind.
- The Monarch Wings were originally called "Mantis Wings" on the Kickstarter page.