Lingering dream of a fallen warrior. Protector of the Queen's Gardens.
If you believe in something as hard as you can, with your eyes shut tight... eventually it will come true!
Marmu was the innocent-minded yet strong protector of the Queen's Gardens. The Queen promised to teach her how to fly upon her return to the verdant retreat. Marmu passed away before that day and a totem in her memory was placed upon her grave in the gardens' wilds.
Marmu's spirit appears at her totem after the Knight acquires the Dream Nail. She proposes they play together while waiting for the Queen's return. Upon defeat, Marmu realises how long she has waited while defending the gardens. She desires to rest and asks the Knight to wake her up once the Queen arrives, wishing she could teach them both how to fly. Her spirit then shatters into 150 Essence to be collected by the Dream Nail.
Behaviour and Tactics
Marmu has only one attack and one ability:
- Hurl: Marmu curls into a ball and hurls herself at the Knight from various angles.
- Teleport: Used in conjunction with her attack, Marmu teleports to a random section of the arena.
Damaging Marmu knocks her back a bit. Staying underneath and attacking upward to juggle her is a dependable method of attack, especially with the Quick Slash Charm equipped. Be ready though because Marmu gains speed when she bumps into a wall or ceiling.
Since Marmu usually stays relatively close to the Knight, an area of effect build can be quite useful. Equipping Thorns of Agony, Spore Shroom, Grubsong, Quick Focus, and Stalwart Shell helps greatly.
If the Knight wants to defeat Marmu as fast as possible, using an all Spell strategy helps. Equipping Shaman Stone and spamming Howling Wraiths/Abyss Shriek when she is close can easily kill her. Marmu can bounce through the Spell and still collide with the Knight. Desolate Dive/Descending Dark is a useful Spell to escape danger and damage Marmu at the same time.
It is recommended to stick to a corner while fighting Marmu. This limits the angles from which she can attack, allowing for easier defending. Being backed into a corner is not an issue since any successful attack on Marmu knocks her backwards.
Due to the inaccuracy of Marmu's Hurl attack, it is possible to heal safely while she is attacking. Baldur Shell can be used to block any attack that happens to make its way in. The combination of Quick Focus and Shape of Unn can allow the Knight to heal while dodging Marmu's Hurl.
Hall of Gods text: "I lie dreaming patiently in a garden"
"Dreamborn god of gardens"
|Pantheon||Pantheon of the Artist, 6th boss|
|Arena changes||The arena is shrunk down and boxed off with thorns on all three sides on Ascended difficulty or above.|
Marmu is located in the Queen's Gardens, west of the Stag Station.
- Marmu is based on a Puss Moth Caterpillar; as seen here.
- Zara Pellen, the backer who created Marmu, is the mother of William Pellen, one of the members of Team Cherry.
- Mixer livestream of 27 September, 2018.
- When We Made… Hollow Knight
- Marmu Hunter's Journal entry: "Protector of the Queen's Gardens."
- Marmu: "I've kept it safe, this sacred garden! I've kept it safe for all this time, and soon the Queen will return and teach me to fly!"
- Marmu: "Shall we wait together, stranger? Shall we play together?"
- Marmu: "I've been waiting a long time, stranger. I've been fighting a long time, stranger."
- Marmu: "Wake me when the Queen arrives, stranger. Perhaps the Queen will teach us both to fly, stranger!"
|Main Game||Crawlid • Vengefly • Vengefly King • Gruzzer • Gruz Mother • Tiktik • Aspid Hunter • Aspid Mother • Aspid Hatchling • Goam • Wandering Husk • Husk Hornhead • Leaping Husk • Husk Bully • Husk Warrior • Husk Guard • Entombed Husk • False Knight (Failed Champion) • Maggot • Menderbug • Lifeseed • Baldur • Elder Baldur
Ambloom • Fungling • Fungoon • Sporg • Fungified Husk • Shrumeling • Shrumal Warrior • Shrumal Ogre • Mantis Youth • Mantis Warrior • Mantis Lords
Husk Sentry • Heavy Sentry • Winged Sentry • Lance Sentry • Mistake • Folly • Soul Twister • Soul Warrior • Soul Master (Tyrant) • Husk Dandy • Cowardly Husk • Gluttonous Husk • Gorgeous Husk • Great Husk Sentry • Watcher Knight • The Collector
|The Grimm Troupe||