The sparsely populated region in the northwest of Hallownest separating the kingdom from a vast and unknown wasteland.
A steep cliff bordering the wasteland outside the Pale King's domain, inhabited by small crawling and flying enemies. The ground is littered with husks and corpses of bugs.
The Stag Nest is located in the northwest part of the area. Essentially, only accessible via Stagways.
LoreThe Pale King granted wild bugs sentience through his beacon. The ones who chose to leave the kingdom lost their memories. The bugs living in the wastelands outside Hallownest are unintelligent as sapience would seemingly be a weakness in their environment. 
How to accessThere are two ways of accessing the Howling Cliffs, both of which require the Mantis Claw. A secret passage leading to the northeast of the area can be found to the left of the game's starting point in King's Pass. A connection to the southern part of the area is located in the north of Greenpath.
Sub-area: Joni's Repose
Sub-area: Stag Nest
The birthplace of The Last Stag, and all other Stags in Hallownest, reachable only through unlocking every other available Stag Station. Littered with Stag corpses, but also one freshly hatched egg, signalling the hope for Stags to live on.
Nightmare Lantern Chamber
This room serves two purposes, both revolving around the Grimm Troupe. This room allows summoning the Grimm Troupe into Dirtmouth and accessing the content pack. This room also serves the second purpose of being able to banish the Grimm Troupe from Hallownest and complete the content pack's alternative ending.
|Open all Stag Stations and discover the Stag Nest|
- This is the area the Knight is seen traversing through in the opening cutscene. At the northeast part of the cliffs, the same ledge with the lamppost can be found that the Knight jumps at the end of the cutscene.
- Once the Crystal Heart has been acquired, it is technically possible to super dash from a ledge on the eastern side of the Howling Cliffs over to the Stag Nest without having to unlock every Stag Station.
- The northeast part of the Howling Cliffs connects to King's Pass when jumping off the ledge, but using Crystal Heart here will skip King's Pass and instead makes the Knight end up directly in Dirtmouth.
- Due to a glitch with the physics, if the map is pulled out while being pushed by the wind, the Knight would be pushed faster.
- This is the only area that doesn't have enemies exclusive to it.
- ↑ Lore Tablet: "The Wyrm becomes beacon, minds expanded, to yield, to devote. Eternity in promise and charge in progeny cursed."
- ↑ Corpse's Dream Nail Dialogue: "...No king... No mind... Release..."
- ↑ Lore Tablet: "Those foolish enough to traverse this void must pay the toll and relinquish the precious mind this kingdom grants."'
- ↑ Quirrel Comic: "Perhaps thought is our weakness?"