A wasteland in the far northwest part of Hallownest. Sparsely populated by enemies, the ground is littered with the corpses of bugs large and small. At the western end, a powerful wind will blow the Knight back, preventing them from moving any further.
Sub-area: Joni's Repose
Sub-area: Stag Nest
The birthplace of The Last Stag, and all other Stags in Hallownest, reachable only through unlocking every other available Stag Station. Littered with Stag corpses, but also one freshly hatched egg, signaling the hope for Stags to live on.
|Open all Stag Stations and discover the Stag Nest|
- This is the area the Knight is seen traversing through in the opening cutscene. At the northeast part of the cliffs, the same ledge with the lamppost can be found that the Knight jumps at the end of the cutscene.
- Based on a Lore Tablet in this area, once a bug reaches beyond here, they will lose the "precious mind" that the Kingdom of Hallownest grants.
- Once the player has acquired the Crystal Heart, it is technically possible to super dash from a ledge on the eastern side of the Howling Cliffs over to the Stag Nest without having to unlock every Stag Station.
- The northeast part of the Howling Cliffs connects to King's Pass when jumping off the ledge, but using Crystal Heart here will skip King's Pass and instead makes the Knight end up directly in Dirtmouth.
- Due to a glitch with the physics when holding the map out, if the player pulls out the map while being pushed by the wind, the Knight would be pushed faster.
- This is the only area that doesn't have enemies exclusive to it.