|Hornet||Hornet Protector||Hornet Sentinel|
Skilled protector of Hallownest's ruins. Wields a needle and thread.
I have seen this nimble little creature. I thought her prey and pounced at her, but with a flash she stabbed me with her flying stinger and darted away. Could she be... a Hunter?
Hornet Protector is the first form of Hornet as a boss in Hollow Knight. She confronts the Knight in Greenpath to impede their quest, but underestimates her opponent and does not deploy her full strength. She must be defeated twice to unlock her Journal entry, but this can be either by defeating both forms or by defeating her Protector form once in Greenpath and once in Godhome.
Behaviour and Tactics
Hornet has 4 base attacks:
- Lunge: Hornet lunges forward with her needle in front of her.
- Aerial Lunge: Hornet jumps into the air before aiming at the Knight and rushing downwards.
- Gossamer Storm: Hornet unleashes an area-of-effect attack centred on herself, using her thread to slice into anything around her. This attack can be done in the air.
- Throw: Hornet throws her needle forward, then pulls it back. The range of this attack is slightly smaller than the width of the battlefield. The needle can damage the Knight on the way back.
- Leap: Hornet jumps to move within the arena.
- Run: Hornet runs to move within the arena.
|Description: Hornet Protector leans over and pauses, breathing heavily.|
|Combo: 6||Combo Time: <2s per hit|
As the fight starts, Hornet shifts into a battle stance. Throughout this animation she is vulnerable to damage and remains stationary. This takes approximately one second, during which, perhaps due to a bug, the Knight can repeatedly damage her by striking upwards with the Nail.
Wait until she moves in with a Lunge attack and get a few hits in to gain SOUL. Then, when she moves out of range, hit her with the Vengeful Spirit Spell. At this point in the game, Vengeful Spirit deals 3 times as much damage as the Nail.
After taking out about a fifth of her health, she staggers and kneels on the ground to recover. This occurs four times throughout the fight. Use this time to heal if needed or to hit her with Vengeful Spirit, as the next attack on her causes her to immediately recover.
Hornet always performs a Leap after recovering from a stagger. This can be used to get in multiple Nail hits.
The best moments to heal during battle are during her Throw attack and her Gossamer Storm attack since both have limited range and take time to complete.
The Knight can perform a downward slash if they mistime their jump over the needle during the Throw attack, allowing them to bounce off of Hornet's needle without taking damage.
Hall of Gods text: "I watch over lush pathways and distant ash-swept graves"
"God protector of a fading land"
|Pantheon||Pantheon of the Master, locked by default|
|Arena changes||The arena appears to be about the same size, no difficulty differences.|
Dream Nail Dialogue
Hornet Protector can be fought in Greenpath.
|Test of Resolve|
|Defeat Hornet in Greenpath|
- The names of her boss forms "Hornet Protector" and "Hornet Sentinel" were coined in Godmaster, prior to which she was commonly referred to as simply "Hornet 1&2".
- Despite having an unlock text in the Hall of Gods, it is impossible to see it in-game. The Mothwing Cloak obtained from fighting Hornet in Greenpath is necessary to enter the Fungal Wastes and thus later on Godhome.
- If Hornet Protector is attacked with Vengeful Spirit before her dialogue prior to the boss fight is triggered, the boss fight begins immediately, and the dialogue is skipped.
- Hornet turns upside-down in the air if she is defeated in the middle of her Aerial Lunge attack.
|Main Game||Crawlid • Vengefly • Vengefly King • Gruzzer • Gruz Mother • Tiktik • Aspid Hunter • Aspid Mother • Aspid Hatchling • Goam • Wandering Husk • Husk Hornhead • Leaping Husk • Husk Bully • Husk Warrior • Husk Guard • Entombed Husk • False Knight (Failed Champion) • Maggot • Menderbug • Lifeseed • Baldur • Elder Baldur
Ambloom • Fungling • Fungoon • Sporg • Fungified Husk • Shrumeling • Shrumal Warrior • Shrumal Ogre • Mantis Youth • Mantis Warrior • Mantis Lords
Husk Sentry • Heavy Sentry • Winged Sentry • Lance Sentry • Mistake • Folly • Soul Twister • Soul Warrior • Soul Master (Tyrant) • Husk Dandy • Cowardly Husk • Gluttonous Husk • Gorgeous Husk • Great Husk Sentry • Watcher Knight • The Collector
|The Grimm Troupe||