The Hollow Knight Kickstarter campaign was a crowd-funding project that ran from 19 November 2014 until 19 December 2014. In this month, a total of $58,893 AUD was raised to fund the development of Hollow Knight. It is no longer possible to donate any money to this campaign.
Backers could donate a certain amount of money which granted them rewards depending on how much they donated.
|Pledge tier||Number of backers|
|AU$ 10 or more: Receive a digital copy of Hollow Knight for PC, Mac or Linux.||869|
|AU$ 15 or more: A digital copy of the illustrated instruction manual filled with tips, secrets and lore + all lower tier rewards.||495|
|AU$ 25 or more: A digital copy of the Hallownest world map + a digital copy of the Hollow Knight comic + all lower tier rewards.||515|
|AU$ 45 or more: Access to the Hollow Knight Beta + all lower tier rewards.||101|
|AU$ 75 or more: Have your name and a short message of your choice etched on a stone plaque within the Shrine of Believers + 2 extra copies of the game (3 total) + all lower tier rewards.||88|
|AU$ 150 or more: Appear in-game as a bug spirit in the Glade of Hope + all rewards for the $75 tier.||35|
|AU$ 200 or more: Appear in-game as a warrior-spirit + receive an original watercolour of the Knight + 2 extra copies of the game (5 total) + all rewards for the $75 tier.||10|
|AU$ 400 or more: Create a character in the game + an original watercolour artwork of your character + an original watercolour artwork of the Knight + 5 extra copies of the game (8 total) + all rewards for the $75 tier.||5|
|AU$ 600 or more: Design a Boss + an original watercolour artwork of your boss + an original watercolour artwork of the Knight + 7 extra copies of the game (10 total) + all rewards for the $75 tier.||3|
|AU$ 880 or more: Design a Dungeon and Boss + an original watercolour artwork of the Knight + 7 extra copies of the game (10 total) + all rewards for the $75 tier.||3|
|AU$ 1,200 or more: Design a hidden village with its own unique theme, villagers and sub-quest + an original watercolour artwork of your villagers + an original watercolour artwork of the Knight + 7 extra copies of the game (10 total) + all rewards for the $75 tier.||1|
Funded stretch goals
- $35,000: Funding goal
- $39,000: The White Palace. Filled with traps & challenges + 2 new bosses: Dusk Knight, King's Golem (These bosses were merged into the Kingsmould).
- $44,000: 4 additional quests. More stories + an expanded cast of bizarre bugs + 2 new bosses.
- $50,000: Wii U version of the game (This was later changed to the Nintendo Switch).
- $56,000: 2nd playable character. With their own unique quests & abilities (Hornet in Hollow Knight: Silksong).
- $62,000: Colosseum of Fools (Funded by PayPal backers). Challenge area + 4 new bosses + solve the mystery of the colosseum.
Unfunded stretch goals
- $68,000: 3rd playable character. With their own unique quests & abilities (This was going to be Zote).
- $75,000: PS Vita version of the game.
- $85,000: The Abyss. A massive new expansion for only the hardiest of adventurers + 4 new bosses.
Stretch Goal Quests
The stretch goal at $44,000 was the addition of four new quests to the game:
|A Nailsmith's Obsession|
When his job is done; when the perfect blade is forged; what meaning remains for the Nailsmith? Is there something more the Hollow Knight can provide?
|The Lantern on the Black Shore|
Travel beyond the City of Tears to re-ignite an ancient flame. (includes an additional boss encounter)
Note: This "additional boss" was never added.
|Secret of the Stagways|
Travel to the end of the line and learn more of the stags, their history and their fate.
Backers voicing characters
In addition to the ability to design NPCs for the game, backers were also given the opportunity to provide voices for their characters:
- "The characters in Hollow Knight will speak in little snippets of an insecty, gibberish language that accompanies text boxes. Some examples can be found here."
It is not confirmed whether any of the backers actually voiced a character in the finished game.
Content revealed in the Kickstarter
Content that was revealed on the main Kickstarter page and subsequent updates during the Kickstarter campaign.
Spells & Abilities
Backer-created content in Hollow Knight
The following is a list of all backer-created content that was implemented in Hollow Knight.
- Shrine of Believers tablets text
Backer-created content in Silksong
The following is a list of all backer-created content that will be in Hollow Knight: Silksong.
- According to Team Cherry, the unfunded Abyss expansion stretch goal would have "taken players down into the lake of void, to explore the twisted space within." When later asked on Creative Hustler's Show in October 2017, it was stated that Team Cherry would not be working on the content planned for the Abyss expansion, citing that the world for the game was built without considering this expansion.
- If the stretch goal to have Zote as a playable character was reached, Team Cherry had an idea to have a mode in the game where everything the Knight did was "Zote-ified". Their nail would be weak, dashes could fail, and after being hit they would go flying like Zote in the Colosseum of Fools. Ultimately this was not added later on, as Team Cherry did not think it was worth the amount of work required for content that only a tiny percentage of players would encounter.