Though this hive exists within Hallownest, we play no part in its attempt at perpetuation.
Particular to the Hive are structures built out of brown and translucent honey-like materials. The architecture also follows a hexagonal shape reminiscent of honeycombs.
Along the floor, in egg-like clumps, are globs of honey - some of which contain caches of Geo. Platforms within the area bear a hexagonal design and also appear to be formed from hardened honey. Some of these platforms, and even a wall within the Hive, are cracked, making them vulnerable to being shattered by the speeding bulk of a Hive Guardian. Found supporting the structure, are large brown pillars placed in various locations inside the Hive and providing illumination are hanging lights made out of nectar. The Hive is decorated with rod-like protrusions from the ground, which emit a dull light and crystallised honeycombs which are also densely scattered in the area. In the lower regions of the structure are chairs, tables, and shelves, all sharing a hexagonal design.
The Hive is inhabited by a species of airborne warriors ruled by a queen. Though the colony exists within Hallownest, they remained separate from the kingdom's affairs, walled off from the lands of the Pale King. During Hallownest's reign, the bees sealed up all outside accesses save for the occasional patrolling Hivelings. Their queen died after growing so large she could no longer leave her domain. From then on, the Hive was weakened and thus eventually overtaken by the Infection.
How to access
The Hive can be accessed once the Knight obtains the Tram Pass and takes it to Kingdom's Edge. Heading east, they come across a wall patrolled by a few stray Hivelings. Either wall-jumping and hitting the wall with the Nail or simply firing a Vengeful Spirit/Shade Soul Spell destroys the hidden, breakable wall and grants the Knight access to the Hive.
- Despite being a separate area from Kingdom's Edge, the Hive does not have its own map and is only mapped once the Knight obtains the Kingdom's Edge map from Cornifer.
- The Hive's visual appearance was overhauled in the Lifeblood update. Bookshelves, tables, and chairs were added to the Hive alongside other minor details. This update also added Hive Knight as a boss.
- Early in development, the Hive was located below Deepnest.
- Official manual: "Walled off from the lands of the king, a species of airborn warriors were ruled by a queen who grew so huge she could no longer leave her domain."
- Hive Queen Vespa: "Though this hive exists within Hallownest, we play no part in its attempt at perpetuation."
- Wanderer's Journal, p. 119.
- AMA answer concerning the Hive on Reddit
- The Making of Hollow Knight - Gameinformer interview with Team Cherry.