Assumes the shape of a harmless creature to lure prey.
Luring an enemy close by pretending to be a weak little grub. Very cunning! Unfortunately for them, I eat these grubs as soon as I see them.
Behaviour and Tactics
It pretends to be a Grub trapped in a glass jar. It emits the same sounds like a normal Grub, however, once freed, it reveals its true form and charges at the Knight.
It is quite fast and has a lot of health, but its main weapon is the element of surprise. Simply attack from above to deal with it easily. These creatures can also be discovered by Dream Nailing since normal grubs always read "...Home..." while Grub Mimics will have their normal Dream Nail dialogue.
Dream Nail Dialogue
There are a total of 5 in the whole game.
- 1 in the west of Crystal Peak.
- 3 in the north of Deepnest.
- 1 in the 10th wave of the Trial of the Conqueror.
- Grub Mimics are one of the few enemies that never respawn. The others are Kingsmoulds, Maggots, Elder Baldurs, Bluggsacs, Gorgeous Husk, and Pale Lurker.
- The Grub Mimic in the Colosseum of Fools cannot be Dream Nailed. This prevents them from being used as an infinite source of SOUL and making it too easy to heal.
- When breaking the jar, the audience will laugh at the surprise of the Grub turning into a Mimic. However, if the Knight Dream Nailed the jar before breaking it, the audience won't laugh.
- If a Grub Mimic is freed but not defeated before leaving the room, it will appear back in its disguised grub form when returning- but without the glass encasing. Upon being approached it will play out its transformation as usual.
- When killed, Grub Mimics revert back to their disguised grub form.
- Wanderer's Journal, p. 90.