|Zote the Mighty||Grey Prince Zote||The Eternal Order|
The Eternal Ordeal will always start with a fight against Zote the Mighty as he is fought in the Trial of the Warrior, but can now deal damage to The Knight. After defeating him, a full-screen title card will appear displaying THE ETERNAL ORDEAL, and a counter with Zote's head will appear as a HUD in the lower-left to track enemy kills. Zote will begin to sing along with the music as waves of Zotes will begin to spawn. As the counter racks up kills, the difficulty will increase and more variants will appear, some exclusive to the Ordeal (the Zotes unique to the Ordeal do not have Journal entries).
Once the player has killed 57 Zotes, the counter will turn gold (as does the hidden Zote statue) and a new menu theme will be unlocked: The Eternal Ordeal. The title screen features a statue of Zote with Zote singing the main menu theme of the game.
The Eternal Ordeal is located inside the Hall of Gods. Unlike Grey Prince Zote, this challenge is unlocked by default. To access it, the player must first navigate to the far right of the second level of Hall of Gods and break the ceiling above the third arch from the right. First, reach the hidden ledge above the arch via crystal-dashing off the right wall (Sharp Shadow will also do since it extends the range of Shade Cloak) and then using double-jump to grab the wall. Howling Wraiths/Abyss Shriek is useful for finding and breaking the barrier, but Nail attacks can also be used to break it. Break the left wall after this, and a statue of Zote standing at the edge of a cliff will explode into the room, accompanied by Zote's voice. Challenge it to enter the ordeal.
Types of Zotes
- Kills to Spawn is the minimum to spawn this Zoteling. New Zotelings only spawn when a previous one is killed, selecting randomly from among the available types. This means a new Zote type may not spawn immediately.
- No more than 2 of the same type of Zoteling will spawn at the same time.
- All Zotelings increase in speed with each kill. The speedup is subtle but becomes highly noticeable around 50 kills. At ~80, charging Zotes/Lanky Zotes can cross the screen in ~1s.
- No Zotelings but the initial Zote can be hit with the Dream Nail.
- The initial Zote's Dream Nail dialogue is the same as when he is fought in the Colosseum of Fools.
|Zoteling the Mighty
Essentially the same as Zote in the Colosseum of Fools, but deals contact damage.
Initial Health: 200
After First Kill: 120
Kills to Spawn: 0
Kills to Spawn: 1
Kills to Spawn: 1
Leaps back and forth slowly in a tall arc. Wherever it lands, it creates small shock-waves that cover a fraction of the arena and quickly dissipate.
Kills to Spawn: 8-10
Dangles from the ceiling and shoots acid at the Knight. No contact damage. Will leave on its own after a while (which does not count as a kill).
Kills to Spawn: 15
Behaves exactly like Zote the Mighty, only with a taller hitbox and longer Nail reach.
Kills to Spawn: 20
|Head of Zote
Falls from the ceiling, creating a large shock-wave which covers the whole arena, and remains immobile for a short while after. Nail strikes will not give SOUL. Will leave on its own after a while (which does not count as a kill).
The fall and the rise of the head can kill other Zotelings; these friendly fire deaths do add to the kill counter.
Kills to Spawn: 25–30
The explosion can kill other Zotelings; these friendly fire deaths do add to the kill counter (though the self-destruct does not unless actively triggered by attacking it).
Kills to Spawn: 30
Bursts from the ground and flies upward leaving drops of lingering blobs of acid in its wake. It will leave on its own as soon as it reaches the ceiling (which does not count as a kill).
Kills to Spawn: 35
Floats around the arena and slowly drains SOUL from the player. No contact damage.
Kills to Spawn: 40
The maximum number of Zotelings alive at any time increases with the number of kills.
- The fifty-seven kills to unlock the Eternal Ordeal title screen is a reference to the fifty-seven precepts of Zote.
- Zote's Curse resembles Salubra's Blessing, however, it drains SOUL instead of regenerating it.
- The 57 precepts are represented by the lore tablets behind the Zote statue that is the entrance to the Eternal Ordeal.
- The Eternal Ordeal statue has a cut description of:
- "Intruder amongst the gods of Hallownest"
- By shifting the statue sprite in game around, cut secrets can be found: what appears to be a mode selector for a "mode" (Attuned, Ascended, Radiant) and an open notch used to contain the switch that allows for switching bosses between dream variants.
- Killing Zote at the beginning of the Eternal Ordeal unlocks his Journal entry. However, killing Winged, Hopping and Volatile Zotelings during this encounter will not unlock their entries.