Another warrior finds their way to our fair Colosseum. Ours is the final destination for all seeking trials of intense and deadly combat.
The kingdom once drew the strongest warriors from all corners. Most came not for riches, or answers, or to see the king, but to compete in the Colosseum of Fools, a fighting pit where only the strongest survive.
The Colosseum of Fools is an area in Kingdom's Edge where the Knight may participate in three Trials in which they battle waves of enemies in an arena observed by a crowd of bugs and the corpse of the Lord Fool. In order to unlock a Trial, the Knight must have defeated the previous trial (except for the first Trial) and pay a sum of Geo that increases for each Trial.
Once the initial sum of Geo is paid to unlock the Trial, the Knight can challenge the Trial as many times as they want for free.
Enemies killed in the Trials do not drop Geo.
Beneath the main floor is a resting area, which Little Fool refers to as the "warriors' pit", filled with non-hostile Fool enemies, as well as a Bench.
- To the far right of the resting area, a breakable wall reveals a hidden Hot Spring with a Sturdy Fool relaxing in it. Splashing water at him with the Nail causes him to block himself in annoyance. Using the Dream Nail on this Sturdy Fool gives the line:
- "...Why does it disturb me?.."
- To the left of the resting area is a room where the Knight's Shade spawns if they are killed during a Trial.
- There is an alternate "entrance" to the arena from the right of the resting area. Sounds of battle and cheering from the crowd can be heard, thrown weapons of Sturdy Fool and squishes of the Infection can be seen on the other side of the gate, though no enemies are visible and the gate cannot be opened or broken.
- Tiso can be found here, claiming this is the place he was searching for. He is eager to fight the Knight, and warns them that his shield holds a "deadly weapon." However, he is never fought and his corpse later appears in Kingdom's Edge.
- If the Knight rescued Zote both times, he can be found here, trapped in a cage. He claims that he planned to be trapped, though his Dream Nail dialogue suggests otherwise. He then becomes the final "boss" of the first Trial, though his attacks deal no damage and any attack sends him flying. After being defeated he returns to Dirtmouth.
- A breakable wall can be found in the very east of the arena which leads to an area outside the back of the Colosseum. The Pale Lurker is found here where she can be killed for a Simple Key.
|Trial of the Warrior|
|The first and easiest of the three Trials, the waves are slow and the enemies easy to manage.
|Trial of the Conqueror|
|The second Trial, harder than the first, introduces the no ground mechanic of wall-jumping and mid-air combat without healing.
|Trial of the Fool|
|Last of the three Trials, the waves come at a brutally fast pace at times and the enemies spawned are far tougher, it combines just about every mechanic from the first two Trials.
Requires 800 to unlock. Upon completing it for the first time, it rewards 2000-3024, and the Fool achievement. Subsequent victories also reward 2000-3020.
|Complete the Trial of the Warrior|
|Complete the Trial of the Conqueror|
|Complete the Trial of the Fool|
The Pale Lurker's Retreat
To the far east of the Colosseum, behind the gates of the arena, there is a breakable wall made of shells which leads to a large chasm with a lake at the bottom. By the lakeshore, among the large cages and chains, the Pale Lurker can be found holding a Simple Key. She screams and flees to her arena as the Knight approaches.
The arena is a large locked area separated into the upper level and the bottom level, which the Lurker constantly switches between. After she is defeated, a door in the upper level opens, allowing the Knight to cross through the chasm, a shortcut leading directly back to the Colosseum.
- The audience laughs in certain situations:
- When the Knight dies
- When the two Sturdy Fools from the second wave of the Trial of the Fool are killed by spikes
- During the fight with Zote the Mighty
- After revealing the Grub Mimic
- The Geo rewarded when completing a Trial is reduced by 10 each time the Knight takes damage, down to a minimum amount.
- After completing a Trial for the first time, a pin with the head of the Knight attached appears stuck on top of each of the Trial boards.
- All of the fighters and creatures fought in and around the Colosseum are affected by the Infection, with the exception of Zote and the Pale Lurker.
- Two audience members show up in the Forgotten Crossroads. They cannot be interacted with beyond their shared Dream Nail dialogue, which hints at the Colosseum.
- Due to a glitch, if the map is used in the Colosseum, the Dirtmouth map shows up instead, with no icon even if the Wayward Compass Charm is equipped.
- The Colosseum was a Kickstarter stretch goal that was funded later on through Paypal backers:
- "Colosseum squeaked in there late in development. We were talking about potentially releasing it as a free DLC (this is before we had the idea of content packs) but after discussion we decided that having a place to really test your combat skills was important to have. Also, removing it would have left a weird empty gap at the top of Kingdom's Edge!" - William Pellen
- "The Colosseum does hide a secret, and there's a chance we'll explore it in the future. I'm trying to remember how many extra bosses we did put in the colosseum. Zote was one. Those Fat bees were another... Two of the Colosseum warriors were originally bosses, but we liked them so much we transformed them into regular foes. It's all a bit of a blur!" -Ari Gibson