Ferocious but extremely social creature. Becomes aggressive if not able to mingle with its own kind.
I hear this beast crying out sometimes as I prowl the caverns, although I've never actually laid eyes on it. Who or what is it calling for? As far as I can tell, its voice is never answered.
One lone Brooding Mawlek can be found off-road in the Forgotten Crossroads, far from its living brethren in the Ancient Basin. It sits amidst fossilised remains of its kind and calls for them to breed. This wild beast was driven mad both by its loneliness and the Infection which started covering its body with bulbs. It attacks the Knight as soon as they enter its room by jumping from the background. Upon defeat, the Infection bursts out of the Mawlek, making it explode.
Another one can be fought alone during one of the waves of the Trial of the Fool at the Colosseum. This Mawlek presents the same Infected state.
At the beginning of its fight in the Pantheon of Hallownest, Tiso appears instead as if entering a Trial. He is then crushed by the Brooding Mawlek falling, which then engages the fight against the Knight.
Behaviour and Tactics
The Brooding Mawlek uses the following attacks:
- Slash: Brooding Mawlek uses either of its claws to perform a downward slash towards the Knight. It only uses this attack if the Knight gets too close and can use it in conjunction with the Spit attack.
- Spit: Brooding Mawlek spits blobs of Infection in parabolic arcs at regular intervals while skittering slowly across the ground. These blobs fly towards whichever side of the arena the Knight happens to be standing on. This attack can happen in conjunction with the Slash Attack. Brooding Mawlek spits 3-4 times before either performing a Leap or a Vomit.
- Leap: Brooding Mawlek leaps to the Knight's location, landing where the Knight was at the beginning of its leap. Then, it immediately follows that leap with a jump back to the original position of where it landed at the start of the fight.
- Vomit: Brooding Mawlek shoots a multitude of blobs of Infection in a parabolic arc simultaneously. These blobs fly towards whichever side of the arena the Knight happens to be standing on at the time. Brooding Mawlek stands idle until all the blobs have made contact with the ground.
Without the Longnail and Mark of Pride reach enhancing Charms, the Brooding Mawlek may retaliate when hit. A solid strategy is to hit it a few times and move away quickly when it raises its claw. It is also possible to jump over and Nail-bounce on it to get to the other side.
To dodge the Brooding Mawlek's leap, the Knight needs to run quickly in whichever direction they have space to move. This is also an opportunity to hit the Brooding Mawlek, which cannot Spit or Slash while in the air.
If the Knight has managed to obtain the Baldur Shell Charm and the Cyclone Slash Nail Art, it is possible to chip away at the Brooding Mawlek's health with the edge of Cyclone Slash and use the SOUL gained from the attack to heal safely inside Baldur Shell. While using Baldur Shell, the Knight can also enter into the body of the Brooding Mawlek without taking damage, allowing them to heal while it attacks.
When the Brooding Mawlek uses the Vomit attack, it is possible to safely dash over them with the Mothwing Cloak before the acid comes down. There are also some small safe spots in between the projectiles. It is also possible to Nail-bounce over to the other side.
If the Knight has the Sharp Shadow Charm, it can be used to dash through the Brooding Mawlek and deal damage.
Another Brooding Mawlek is fought as part of the Trial of the Fool in the Colosseum of Fools in a very tight area where dodging its attacks is much more difficult.
Hall of Gods text: "I call out to no one, hidden by roads and highways"
"Lonely god of the nest"
|Pantheon||Pantheon of the Master, 9th boss|
|Arena changes||The arena is the same size as in the Forgotten Crossroads. The middle platform disappears on Ascended difficulty or above.|
Dream Nail Dialogue
It is possible to reach by Nail-bouncing on the spikes, although it is recommended to have obtained the Mantis Claw instead.
Another Brooding Mawlek can be fought in the Colosseum of Fools as part of the Trial of the Fool.
- The Brooding Mawlek was the second mini-boss revealed in a Kickstarter update as an optional boss.
- The Brooding Mawlek found in the Trial of the Fool is somewhat smaller and thinner than the one in Forgotten Crossroads. It has no behavioural differences.
- This may be due to the size constraints of having a roof in the Colosseum.
- Concept art of Brooding Mawlek under the name "Vicious Mawlek", featured in a Team Cherry interview, shows it with extra sets of claws and teeth along its body. 
|Main Game||Crawlid • Vengefly • Vengefly King • Gruzzer • Gruz Mother • Tiktik • Aspid Hunter • Aspid Mother • Aspid Hatchling • Goam • Wandering Husk • Husk Hornhead • Leaping Husk • Husk Bully • Husk Warrior • Husk Guard • Entombed Husk • False Knight (Failed Champion) • Maggot • Menderbug • Lifeseed • Baldur • Elder Baldur
Ambloom • Fungling • Fungoon • Sporg • Fungified Husk • Shrumeling • Shrumal Warrior • Shrumal Ogre • Mantis Youth • Mantis Warrior • Mantis Lords
Husk Sentry • Heavy Sentry • Winged Sentry • Lance Sentry • Mistake • Folly • Soul Twister • Soul Warrior • Soul Master (Tyrant) • Husk Dandy • Cowardly Husk • Gluttonous Husk • Gorgeous Husk • Great Husk Sentry • Watcher Knight • The Collector
|The Grimm Troupe||