|For the Godmaster versions of Bosses and a list of their differing information see here.|
Bosses are unique Enemies in Hollow Knight that typically have higher health or deal more damage than the standard enemies in the same area. The player may have to defeat a Boss to access a new area, acquire an item, complete a quest, or simply further the main story of the game.
When the player encounters a Boss, their name will appear on-screen, and the music will change into a battle theme.
|The following is a list of ghosts that the player can fight. For a list of "NPC" ghosts, that can be only interacted with and seen, see Ghosts|
Lingering Ghosts of particularly strong bugs, Warrior Dreams are a unique form of Boss in that the player can only challenge them once they have acquired the Dream Nail. Defeating a Warrior Dream rewards a large amount of Essence.
After acquiring the Dream Nail, the player may purchase the Warrior's Grave Pin from Iselda for 180, which reveals the location of the Warrior Dream in the area after that area's Map has been purchased.
Dream Nailing a Warrior Dream will automatically enter the fight and Dream Nailing them after winning the fight will automatically collect the essence without dialogue.
Alternate versions of bosses. More challenging than the original fight. Some can be accessed by Dream-Nailing their corpse; defeating these dream bosses awards a large sum of Essence. Others can be found elsewhere in Hallownest after the original fight or inside Godhome.
|Absolute Radiance||Enraged Guardian||Failed Champion||Grey Prince Zote|
|Hornet Sentinel||Lost Kin||Nightmare King||Pure Vessel|
|Sisters of Battle||Soul Tyrant||White Defender||Winged Nosk|
Bosses that include an intro sequence with a name card and a battle theme, but however will not be fought and have no purpose beyond being a surprise/joke.
- Designing a Warrior Dream was a reward for a tier of backers during the game's Kickstarter campaign.
- "Ancient Hero: Appear in-game as an epic warrior-spirit! Help us create the appearance and dialogue for your spirit counterpart: Tell the Hollow Knight of your great deeds, then challenge him to battle!"
- In this same Kickstarter project, a location called Queen's Glade is mentioned in the Warrior Dreams tier
- "Become a Warrior Spirit in the Queen’s Glade"
- In the Kickstarter project it is mentioned that 3 people pledged to the 2nd to last tier, which allows backers to create their own bosses, two of them were the God Tamer, Sharpe, and a third upcoming boss in Silksong. The 2 companions announced alongside Sharpe do not seem to count in these 3.
- There are also 3 upcoming bosses from the "create your own dungeon" reward tier in Silksong.
- Dying at the same time as a boss dies will no longer lead to the boss being considered defeated, rather the player has to fight the boss again as it will be respawned.