Though this hive exists within Hallownest, we play no part in its attempt at perpetuation.
The lands of Hallownest are filled by several groups of strange sentient creatures. They occupy various territories around the vast kingdom and developed their own societies and cultures aside from the Pale King's rule.
Table of Contents
The residents of the Hive, below the Kingdom's Edge, are a species of sentient bees. These airborne warriors possess a hive mind which dictates their behaviour among the Hive. Hivelings carry out simple tasks, and can colonize husks to serve the Hive's purpose. Soldiers and Guardians defend the Hive against intruders. Lastly, the flightless but fierce Hive Knight acts as the last rampart before their monarch, Hive Queen Vespa, who grew so huge she could not leave the Hive.
The Hive attacks any intruder who doesn't wield their blood. They also rejected the Pale King's attempt at perpetuation and separated themselves from the kingdom of Hallownest. Despite their isolation, Vespa's death weakened the Hive, allowing the Infection to spread through. The Infected residents never realised the death of their queen. Their corrupted hive mind dictated to defend her tirelessly, much to the sadness of their queen's spirit.
- Wanderer's Journal, p. 118.
- Hiveling Hunter's Journal entry: "Carries out simple tasks."
- Husk Hive Hunter's Journal entry: "Cowardly husk, its body colonised by hivelings."
- Hive Knight Hunter's Journal entry: "Loyal protector of the Hive's Queen."
- Official manual: "[...] ruled by a queen who grew so huge she could no longer leave her domain."
- Hive Queen Vespa: "My Knight... At last you are freed." "Though this hive exists within Hallownest, we play no part in its attempt at perpetuation."
- AMA answer concerning the Hive on Reddit