Did you know the caverns continue even below the capital? Few have ventured that deep so the details are scant. Those who made it back told of impossibly old structures and roads formed as though the rock itself possessed a will.
Ancient Basin mainly consists of rocks and fossils with occasional roots scattered throughout the area. A Tram is located in the north part which leads to Deepnest and Kingdom's Edge. The western part of the Tram tunnel can be accessed and contains a rare Pale Ore.
A fountain with a statue of the Pale King in the central area of Ancient Basin grants a Vessel Fragment if a sum total of 3000 is dropped in it. If more geo than necessary is dropped, the remaining amount is not lost.
The western side of Ancient Basin is the most heavily Infected, littered with spikes, bulbs of Infection, and Infected enemies such as Infected Balloons. The boss Broken Vessel can be encountered here. After it is defeated, the Monarch Wings can be found at the end of this area.
The Palace Grounds are located in the eastern part of Ancient Basin, an area which can only be accessed with the Monarch Wings. This also contains a hidden Stag Station.
All the way at the bottom of Ancient Basin is the locked door which leads to the Abyss.
An ancient area, Ancient Basin is filled with old structures and roads that were formed as if the rock itself possessed a will.
The Pale King built his palace in Ancient Basin, and it was from there that the kingdom of Hallownest spread. He ruled Hallownest from the White Palace, rarely leaving it. The palace disappeared together with the Pale King after the Infection reappeared.
How to access
Ancient Basin can be accessed from the Royal Waterways by crossing the collapsed bridge which leads to the area. The Tram in Deepnest can also be used to enter Ancient Basin after the Tram Pass has been acquired.
Sub-Area: Palace Grounds
The Palace Grounds were the former location of the White Palace, but the dried-up moat and palace gates are all that remain of the structure. The Monarch Wings are required to enter the area.
In the centre of the Palace Grounds, in front of the palace gates, is the corpse of a Kingsmould. This corpse can be Dream Nailed after the Awoken Dream Nail has been acquired to access White Palace in the Dream Realm.
Sub-Area: Hidden Station
A Stag Station located on the eastern side of the Palace Grounds which can be reached after destroying the breakable wall near two Royal Retainer corpses.
- During development, Ancient Basin took the place of the cut Forest of Bones area. As can be seen on an early map, before the Forest of Bones was cut, the Palace Grounds used to be much bigger. It also would have been the place where Dryya could be encountered. A concept sketch shows what it would have looked like and that its name was "Imperial Grounds". The current Palace Grounds were also shown in a sketch under the name "Royal Bridge".
- Elderbug: "Those who made it back told of impossibly old structures and roads formed as though the rock itself possessed a will."
- Wanderer's Journal, p. 122, p. 124.
- Relic Seeker Lemm: "Hallownest's king was an elusive figure, deified by the citizens. With the king rarely seen,"
- Last Stag: "Until I heard the bell calling, I didn't even know the Stagways travelled so deep."
- The Making of Hollow Knight - Gameinformer interview with Team Cherry.
- Product design in Hollow Knight at the Australian Centre for the Moving Image.